> Please click on the boxes
The General Assembly ratifies the main decisions regarding BIR and has full power to achieve the objectives of the federation. The GA is convened once a year by the Director General on behalf of the Executive Committee and under the mandate of the BIR President. It usually gathers during the Spring Convention and all members and participants at the event may attend. However, only effective members have voting rights. The votes will be expressed by simple majority of the present or represented effective members. Decisions are taken by simple majority.
The Advisory Council is the forum in which the Presidents of the Special Committees present their reports to the Executive Committee. BIR past Presidents and the BIR Director General also participate in these meetings.
BIR is managed by the Executive Committee consisting of the President, the Treasurer and the Presidents of the Commodity Divisions. All important decisions regarding the Association are taken by the Executive Committee which meets four times a year.
- President: Björn Grufman - MV. Metallvärden AB (SWE)
- Treasurer: Ranjit S. Baxi - J&H Sales International Ltd. (GBR)
- Articles of Association and Internal Rules - Andreas Wahl - TAV Holdings Inc. (USA)
- Nominating Committee: Dominique Maguin, - La Compagnie des Matières Premières (FRA)
- Finance: Ranjit Baxi - Ranjit S.Baxi - J&H Sales International Ltd (GBR)
- Membership: Michael Lion - Sims Metal Management (CHN)
- Convention: Mark Sellier - OneSteel Recycling (CHN)
- Communications: Kamiel van Wijk - Aurubis Netherlands B.V. (NDL)
- Young Traders: Graeme Cameron - American Iron Metal (CAN)
- International Environment Council: Olivier François - Galloo (FRA)
- International Trade Council: Robert Voss CBE - Voss International (GBR)
The BIR Special Committees deal with organisational and administrative matters concerning the general structure of the association. They are instrumental for the management of the organisation’s finances, membership growth and programme development.
- Statutes, by-laws and arbitration
- Young Traders
- International Environmental Council (IEC)
- International Trade Council (ITC)
Each Commodity Division and Committee represents a specific industry sector. They are headed by an elected board and a president.
Commodity Division Presidents and Committee Chairmen
- Ferrous Division President: William Schmiedel - Sims Metal Management Global Trade (USA)
- Non-Ferrous Division President: David Chiao (Interim President) - Uni-All Group Ltd. (USA)
- Paper Division President: Reinhold Schmidt - Recycling Karla Schmidt (DEU)
- Textiles Division President: Mehdi Zerroug - Framimex (FRA)
- Stainless Steel&Special Alloys Committee Chairman: Joost van Kleef - KMR Stainless BV (NLD)
- Plastic Committee Chairman: Surendra Borad - Gemini Corporation N.V. (BEL)
- Tyres Committee Chairman: Ruud Burlet - Rubber Resources BV (NLD)
Based in Brussels, the General Secretariat manages the daily operations of BIR to ensure that its objectives are met. Our multilingual staff works in English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Turkish and Luxembourgish.
- Director General: Alexandre Delacoux
- Environmental & Technical Director: Ross Bartley
- Communications Director: Elisabeth Christ
- Public Relations Assistant: Michèle Noukam
- Convention Director: Anja Wimmer
- Events Manager: Yolande Joret
- Membership-Marketing Manager: Raïssa Wolteche
- Logistics Officer: Antoine Breysens
- Advisor for future BIR conventions venues: Francis Veys