> Please click on the boxes
The General Assembly ratifies the main decisions regarding BIR and has full power to achieve the objectives of the federation. The GA is convened once a year by the Director General on behalf of the Executive Committee and under the mandate of the BIR President. It usually gathers during the Spring Convention and all members and participants at the event may attend. However, only effective members have voting rights. The votes will be expressed by simple majority of the present or represented effective members. Decisions are taken by simple majority...
The Advisory Council is the forum in which the Presidents of the Special Committees present their reports to the Executive Committee. BIR past Presidents and the BIR Director General also participate in these meetings.
BIR is managed by the Executive Committee consisting of the President, the Treasurer and the Presidents of the Commodity Divisions. All important decisions regarding the Association are taken by the Executive Committee which meets four times a year.
- President: Björn Grufman - MV. Metallvärden AB (SWE)
- Treasurer: Ranjit S. Baxi - J&H Sales International Ltd. (GBR)
- Articles of Association and Internal Rules - Andreas Wahl - Newell Recycling of Atlanta Inc. (USA)
- Nominating Committee: Dominique Maguin, - La Compagnie des Matières Premières (FRA)
- Finance: Ranjit Baxi - Ranjit S.Baxi - J&H Sales International Ltd (GBR)
- Membership: Michael Lion - Sims Metal Management (CHN)
- Convention: Mark Sellier - OneSteel Recycling (CHN)
- Communications: Kamiel van Wijk - Aurubis Netherlands B.V. (NDL)
- Young Traders: Paul Coyte - Hayes Metals (NZL)
- International Environment Council: Olivier François - Galloo (FRA)
- International Trade Council: Robert Voss - Voss International (GBR)
- Ambassadors: BIR President : Björn Grufman - Metallvärden AB (SWD)
The BIR Special Committees deal with organisational and administrative matters concerning the general structure of the association. They are instrumental for the management of the organisation’s finances, membership growth and programme development.
- Statutes, by-laws and arbitration
- Young Traders
- International Environmental Council (IEC)
- International Trade Council (ITC)
Each Commodity Division and Committee represents a specific industry sector. They are headed by an elected board and a president.
Commodity Division Presidents and Committee Chairmen
- Ferrous Division President: Christian Rubach - TSR Recycling GmbH & Co. KG (DEU)
- Non-Ferrous Division President: Robert Stein - Alter Trading (USA)
- Paper Division President: Ranjit S.Baxi - J&H Sales International Ltd (GBR)
- Textiles Division President: Olaf Rintsch - Textil Recycling K&A Wenkhaus GmbH (DEU)
- Stainless Steel and Special Alloys Committee Chairman: Franck Wäckerle - Cronimet (DEU)
- Plastic Committee Chairman: Surendra Borad - Gemini Corporation N.V. (BEL)
- Tyres Committee Chairman: Barend Ten Bruggencate (NLD)
Based in Brussels, the General Secretariat manages the daily operations of BIR to ensure that its objectives are met. Our multilingual staff works in English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Turkish and Luxembourgish.
- Director General: Francis Veys
- Environmental & Technical Director: Ross Bartley
- Communications Director: Elisabeth Christ
- EU Public Affairs Officer: Eric Johnson
- PR Assistant: Michèle Noukam
- Events Manager: Yolande Joret
- Membership-Marketing Manager: Raïssa Wolteche
- Administration Manager: Claudia Vinciotti
- Administrative Assistant: Antoine Breysens