Posted on 19/04/2012 in category Convention
OECD economist and key players of global steel recycling sector share their views on industry trends and developments
The plenary meeting of the BIR Ferrous Division in Rome will feature guest speakers of great renown whose knowledge and expertise represent an added value for BIR delegates attending the BIR World Recycling Convention.
On Thursday, 31 May at 14.30, divisional President Christian Rubach and his board will welcome Ms Barbara Fliess, Senior Economist in the Trade & Agriculture Directorate of the OECD, where for many years she has been in charge of a programme dealing with non-tariff measures affecting trade in non-agricultural goods. This programme has in recent years emphasized analytical work on technical barriers to trade (TBT) and, most recently, export restrictions with a focus on raw materials including minerals and metals. Ms Fliess, who has been with the organization since 1995, will focus in her presentation on “Export restrictions targeting steel raw materials, waste and scrap”.
For a subsequent panel discussion on the current situation and futures trends for ferrous scrap worldwide, the BIR Ferrous Division has invited some key players of the global steel recycling sector:
- Mr Ronobir Roy, General Manager in ArcelorMittal and responsible for Metallics Procurement in France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and Northern Europe, imported scrap and scrap substitutes in Europe and Metallics Co-ordination in Europe. He is also the CEO of ArcelorMittal Recycling. ArcelorMittal, the world’s leading steel and mining company, operates in 60 countries and employs about 260,000 people worldwide.
- Mr Antonio Gozzi, Managing Director of Duferco Group, a leader in production and trading in the iron and steel industry, is a widely known steel expert and Professor of Economy and Management at the University of Genoa, Italy. Mr Gozzi is also President and Managing Director of Duferco Italia Holding Spa, President of Duferdofin-Nucor Srl, the most important Italian producer of beams and merchant bars, and President of San Zeno Acciai-Duferco Srl. Mr Gozzi has just been designated to become the next President of Federacciai, the Italian steel association.
- Mr Collin Iles, Chairman of European Metal Recycling Ltd, one of the leading global metal recycling companies, operating at 150 locations worldwide.
- Mr William Schmiedel, President Sims Global Trade at Sims Metal Management Limited, the world’s largest metals and electronics recycler with over 260 locations on five continents, and over 6,500 employees.
- Mr Ruggero Alocci, Managing Director and owner of Alocci Rappresentanze Industriali, an Italian raw material and steel trading company, which he founded in 1990. At present he is also President of Maind Srl Italy (waste gasification plants), Sales Manager of Spinelli Sas France (raw material trader) and CEO of Saphymo Italia Srl (radioactivity measuring equipments).
Divisonal President Christian Rubach states:” I am very pleased that our Division could secure such a knowledgeable panel of speakers. Their views and in-depth knowledge of our markets will benefit each and every one of our delegates in their daily business dealings.”